The last Downies auction for 2015, Sale 320 is distinguished by an abundance of highlights across a range of numismatic and collector themes. Sure to be a major event for Australian numismatics, the sale comprises more than 3,500 lots, with pre-sale estimates exceeding $1.1 million. Viewing is highly recommended, and when you peruse the array of highlights below, you will understand why.
- Ten 1923 Halfpennies and three 1930 Pennies, from one of best Commonwealth consignments we have seen in years, with over 650 lots catering for all budgets
- A typically extensive predecimal gold section (170 lots) including an 1855 Sydney Mint Half Sovereign in Fine/good Fine condition
- A Ten Shillings Collins-Allen last prefix banknote in almost Very Fine
- Approximately 100 lots of English hammered coins, including some of the finest we have ever offered. Highlighted by a strong showing of siege pieces from Charles I
- An extensive range of antiquities and Ancient coins
- An enticing array of Australian, British and world military medals, including a WWII Group of Seven to an Australian Pathfinder Force Wing Commander
- No less than nine bravery awards including the very rare Ovalau Medal 1903
Lot 1049 - The Ovalau Medal 1903, engraved naming to W.Brett, presented by the N.S.W. Government to members of the ship’s crew for gallant and meritorious exertion in trying to save the ship and saving the passengers by transporting them to Lord Howe Island, comes with copy of news article concerning the wreck with picture of the ship, VF and extremely rare. Est. $2,500
Lot 1073 - 1855 Fine/gFine, the key date and rare especially in this grade, probably the 9th or 10th finest known. Est. $40,000
Lot 2106 Ten Shillings Collins-Allen medium prefix and suffix letters M/F last prefix (R2e) a new untouched example with full colour and crisp sharp corners, a full bodied aVF example that is highly underrated with a mere handful offered this grade or better in recent years, a superb type note. Est. $7,500
Lot 2683 - Charles I (1625-1649) Pound, Oxford Mint with Shrewsbury-style equestrian portrait (S2940, N2398) beautiful even gunmetal grey cabinet toning, gVF. Est. $7,500
Lot 2687 - Newark Besieged (1645-May 1646) Ninepence 1646 (S3144; N2641) retaining some gilding from the original item prior to being cut and prepared for coinage, near EF. Est. $2,000
Lot 2689 - English Civil War, Pontefract Besieged (June 1648-March 1648/9) Round Shilling 1648, struck after the execution of Charles I in the name of Charles II (S3150; N2648) VF. Est. $5,000
Lot 2690 - English Civil War, Pontefract Besieged (June 1648-March 1648/9) Octagonal Shilling 1648, struck after the execution of Charles I in the name of Charles II (S3151; N2649) VF. Est. $5,000
Lot 3106 - WWII DFC Group of Seven to an Australian Wing Commander serving in Britain with the RAF Bomber Command’s Pathfinder Force; with group of four post-War Belgian decorations to the same recipient. (View catalogue for full description of medals and accompanying material) Est. $7,500
This is just a taste of the exciting array of material in Sale 320.
Happy bidding, and good luck!